Wednesday, August 30, 2017

I Can't Write Anything Serious

I didn't set out to write a silly story, things just worked out that way.

The current story that I'm working on, Squats and Mobiles, started out as a reaction to what Trump is doing.  In it, a future society is basically run by genetically engineered super intelligent beings that are referred to in slang as Squats called that because they have to stay in one place, while regular human beings, are referred to as Mobiles because they can move.

In this society, the Squats notice that the human race is slowly dying out, because nobody has much ambition any more.  The Squats decide to give something for humans to care about in the form of the re-introduction of fascism and despotism in the form of an unfortunate individual called Logan, who suffers from bipolar disorder.

The idea is for the Squats to steer Logan towards fascism and get the rest of the mobiles to oppose him.

Sounds serious, right?

Lately, I've written sections about how one squat, called Aristotle, becomes obsessed with potato salad.  The protagonist, called Elsie, is obsessed with coleslaw.

As I've written more and more, it has become increasingly silly.  I need to decide, fairly soon, whether this is going to be another silly story, or if it's going to be serious.  The problem is that I don't know how to write a serious story.

I guess the advantage to writing stuff that nobody reads is that I won't let anyone down if I try and fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment